Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What Facebook Has Taught Me

I don't use Facebook much. Actually, I hardly ever use it. But last week, I finally signed on. And actually updated my page. Um, ya. I didn't even know that is was connected to my Twitter page. So my friends, followers, whatever you are called on Facebook, have been getting my Twitter updates.

I don't know why I finally signed up for Facebook. Or why it took me months, maybe 6 months, to finally update. But that's life. I didn't want to get sucked into it like I was MySpace. My friends and I were trying to use it to stay connected and updated on gigs. It didn't really work. Because, we weren't consistently checking our pages. Then we all stopped using MySpace.

Now we found twitter. And it works great. Everyone is always on. And we're staying connected. So no one signed up for Facebook. And I don't dedicate much, if any, time to it. But the other day, I was curious...

I signed on. Updated my page. Did a quick search. And that was it. Then, the following day, I needed to find an armonia player in "The City Different." Let me tell you, it was way easier on MySpace. On Facebook, you search. Then you have to become someone's friend. Then send them a message. And pray that they answer you in a somewhat timely manner. Ya, none of that happened.

But I did find some old college friends. I don't know why I didn't try and friend them. And even high school friends. I'm still in shock. You see, 2 of the girls I was closest to as a high school senior, are now married. One of the girls and I were supposed to live together in college. Then she decided she wanted to live in the dorms. And I had a house. Then she went on a stupid peda for 5 years. Every single time I seen her, she was stupid drunk. She even called me one night from across the border. She had gotten lost. And lost her car. It was like 3AM on a Wednesday...

Now she's married. Crazy thing, I seen her mom last Spring. And she didn't say a word. She got married 3 months ago. At the church where my parents go. And the other girl, we were also very close. She is now married with 2 kids! Am I the only one that is single with no kids? I'm in no rush, but seriously!

I think it's just weird. We were all so close at one time. I was supposed to live with one of them. The other was also a close friend. We spent so much time together. Both of these girls, I spent hours a day with. Because we had classes together, were in the same activities, and just liked to hang out. Then one day, we just didn't talk. I'm halfway tempted to friend them. But then, I have to remember how horrible both of them became. One of them stole a lot from me. Made my financial life a nightmare. Made my life in general, pretty miserable. The other, well, we won't go there.

But isn't it funny how life changes. Now I have friends that I can really depend on. People that I love. And who love me. It's a great feeling. But it was kind of nice to see a piece of these people's lives. And a few other people that I've met along the way.

I'm tempted to close my Facebook page. But I'm also tempted to leave it alone. It's a nice way to reconnect with certain people. And to just take a peek into the lives of people I once called friends. ♥Besitos

No comments: