Monday, August 9, 2010

Days in the Symphony

When I sit and think about symphonic playing, I have some very mixed memories. When I was young, and first began playing the violin, I loved the symphony. Classical music was all I could think about! I LOVED playing in the AYS program. Loved our conductors. And one of my teacher's sons and I, became really good friends. I met some of the most amazing people. Lifelong friends. :)

Then fast forward to college. I HATED playing in the symphony. Absolutely HATED IT! Our conductor was rude and racist. But I dealt. It didn't hurt that I had an amazing stand partner. We were seated at the back. No matter what we did. That's where we sat. But it was A OK!

What did we do? Joked around. He laughed. Made jokes. He would write all over the music. Draw pictures of "Woody Woodpecker." He would teach me various Mariachi stuff. We talked to the flutists. They sat on one side of us. We chatted with the percussion. And we tried our hardest not to have our ears blown out by them.

That is what we did. We knew our music. We were on top of it. But it never mattered. And the people. Oh they were horrible. Besides our professor, and maybe 2 other string players, no one ever really talked to you. That was life.

Then I left it all behind. And I missed it all! I would sub in various symphonies from time to time. And in the SFO. Which was so fun. But that is a whole other tale. To me, symphony playing can be horrific! The people tend to be rude. And look down on you. You get lost in the scene. And honestly, 90% of the time, you don't even connect with the music. But I would never change my experience. It's helped to shape me as a performer. ♥Besitos

No comments: