Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mi Cucu



Mi Cucu...or how I came to know it as a small girl..."Don't Mess with My Tutu." I don't even know who the recording was by. All I can remember is, a man sang the song. And I swear to you, it was a country western song. But it was mine song, because my grandma said so. I know. Weird choice for a 3 year old. But there you go.

I would go around my grandparents' house singing and dancing to this song. For hours...even days! I was a bit of a dorky kid. But this was my song. I'm pretty sure that the recording that they had was by a country singer. But don't quote me on that.

Then I got older. And I became a musician. And my good friend and fellow musician so, he had a wise idea. I should sing this song in spanish. Hello! We were already jamming to "Who Let the Dogs Out." So there you go. My song came to life again. Can you tell we had A LOT of fun at work?

Funny how those things happen. Then I became known for this song! It was so weird. And in every Mariachi I've ever played in, I've had to sing this song. And then it crossed over, to the other genres of music that I perform. I think my dancing skills also add to the fun of this song. :)

The crazy thing is, I still like going to my grandparents house and listening to the 8-track recording. Yes, I told you it was old! The label has fallen off. And I have no idea who recorded it. But it brings back so many memories.

I don't know why I woke up thinking about this song. But I did. Go figure! But I found this video and had it playing as I got ready this morning. A bit weird. But I enjoyed it. It's definitely a fun song to dance to. Too bad I'm here alone. With no dance partner...AGAIN!

Now, I need to go get ready for my niece's birthday party. Yes, it's at a weird time...11AM. And I still need to wrap her presents. And sign her card. Oh, and drive the hour to my brother's house. Happy Saturday! ♥Besitos

No comments: