Monday, August 30, 2010

Polkas



I was thinking about this today. My grandma taught me how to dance a polka when I was small. Like 3 or 4 years old. It was her thing. Her dance. Something that at every single party, she and my uncle would dance. The faster, the better. In her book anyway.

Me, I've had 1 good polka partner in my life. Zo, my best friend. He cracks me up! But he is such a good dancer. I think we just grew up around it. Going to fiestas, parties, etc. That's why we were good at it. But other people, wow! It's like they've never danced a day in their lives! They can't figure out the rhythm. Or the steps.

So I have a question. Was it just in my family, that we were taught how to dance as young kids? I mean they didn't teach us step by step. We just learned. Picked it up on our own. You know, it came naturally. Which I think, most Latinos would agree. it just happens.

One day, I was just dancing a cumbia. No one taught me. I just knew. My hips, my feet, every part of me just knew what to do. And now, I dance all the time. To a HUGE variety of music. It was natural. Something that we were taught. But also something that came from inside. I'm yet to meet a Latino that doesn't know how to dance. ♥Besitos

No comments: