Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy 40th Birthday Sesame Street!



Today is the 40th Anniversary of Sesame Street. How many of us grew up watching our favorite PBS show? I know I was a HUGE fan. I know that my older sister, now 38, watched it. I can sit and talk to almost anyone that I know, and we have some fond memory of Big Bird and the gang.

I still can't believe it has been 40 years. OK, so the gang had already been on the air for 14 years when I was born. But seriously, 40 years is a long time! I watched Sesame Street for many years. This was before the days of Elmo. My favorite guy was Oscar the Grouch. I had stuffed animals, books, and clothes with the famous characters. I even had the bedding and some Christmas ornaments. These characters, were like my family.

If you knew just one thing about me, as a kid, I spent a lot of time on my own. Yes, in the 80s, it wasn't unheard of, to spend time by yourself. Even as a small kid. I was a "latch key kid." Who lost at least 3 keys a week. I also spent hours at home alone. Big Bird and the gang were my pals! They got me through the tough days of chicken pox, and the lonely days without my parents.

Today, I sit and watch them with my 4 year old goddaughter. But we watch in Spanish. Not much has changed in the past 20 something years. Many of the songs are the same. Sure, there are a few new guys on the block. And famous people sure do like the show. But it is the same gang that I laughed with, for so many fond years. Here's to another 40 years! ♥Besitos

No comments: