Sunday, July 25, 2010

Zumba



I get tons of questions about how I get into shape for my shows. To be 100% honest, it's constant up keep of my body. I cheered in high school. And I was used to working out for 8 hours a day. Hard workouts. Cardio, weight lifting, running, our routines, gymnastics, etc. It was tough. But we did it 7 days a week, for 11 1/2 months a year!

Then when I graduated, I started running. I've run at least 1 mile a day since. But lots of time, I run between 2-5 miles a day. Just depending on the day and weather. I don't run often on the treadmill. I'm not that coordinated. And I like to do a variety of workout DVDs. Mostly dancing.

Also, for my degree program, I have to go to the gym. I have a trainer. And I workout with him at least 5 days a week. For 90-120 minutes a session. Sometimes that can get boring. So I tend to spice it with various classes at the gym.

I like Pilates, yoga, and I've even taken some cardio pole dancing classes. So much fun! But my favorite thing to do is Zumba. I found this video on YouTube. It's a lot easier of a routine than I'm used to. My instructor is a lot like my high school cheerleading coach. And you leave there drenched in sweat.

My 3 biggest tips are to find something you enjoy doing, take your friends, and don't forget about what you're eating. I like to run. And I also like Zumba. About 6 weeks before big shows, I call up the girls, and we all take daily Zumba classes together. Nothing like laughing about the silly routines you're doing. And it makes the time go by so quickly.

But the biggest thing is, watch what you eat. I like to eat. A lot! But before a show, I change my diet a lot. I make myself eat 6-8 small meals a day. I pay extra attention to what I'm eating. And I make sure to limit my salt and sugar.

And you have to be consistent. If you're trying to lose weight, remember you didn't gain it over night. It's going to take a while to lose it. If you're trying to get into better shape, you need to just be consistent with your routines. You can't workout one week, and forget about it the next. Just find something you enjoy, and have fun! ♥Besitos

No comments: