Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hombrecito

There's this guy...I met him when I was 18. A rather cute man. One that all the ladies were in love with. I mean all the ladies. From 3-83! And then, there was me. I was shy. Barely uttered 2 words in a 2 hour rehearsal. I was that awkward college freshman.

But there he was. Gorgeous eyes. Curly, somewhat out of control hair, and an amazing personality. I was 18 and very shy. He would make it a point to come and say Hi during every rehearsal. I think his momma just raised him right. It took everything I had to barely mutter the word Hi. Why was I so shy?

For years, we rehearsed together. Years people! Our conversation were never too lengthy. I so badly wanted to join the mariachi he was in. Not just because he was in it. Though that was a plus. But this group was really amazing. And I wanted to learn so badly! But, I was so nervous! I could barely handle being in a mariachi rehearsal at school with him. How was I going to handle the actual group? Well life got busy, and I never joined.

A few years later, I was asked to help bring back the school mariachi. I nervously looked for phone numbers. And I found his messy guy handwriting, on the back of some music. I dialed the number, knots in my stomach, only to get his old roommate. Life was just sucked out of me! So you can imagine my surprise, when I walk into rehearsal. He was standing there. That goofy smile that I loved so much! Holding his guitar.

The summer prior to this, the group I had been playing in back home, came down to play. And I went to see them. He was there. Playing. I thought I was about to die. he looked amazing in his traje. When he started to sing, I halfway thanked God that it was dark by this point. Because I could tell, I was as red as ever! But I sat there and watched. Until nearly 11PM. It was like heaven on earth! :)

So when we started rehearsing again, I was glad I played the violin. I was on the other side of the room. Until our ever so wise professor, thought it was a good idea to put the violins in front of the armonia. And I, ended up standing right in front of him. I could hardly play. And forget when he sang. I couldn't give a reason why, an experienced mariachi like myself, couldn't play Volver, Volver when he sang. I really couldn't.

For about 6 months, we saw each other twice a week. In rehearsal. And as I was going to my lesson. Later, as in a few years later, his friend came to ask me a few questions. Like what I thought about him. He asked me, did I ever think it was weird that the violins had to stand in front of the armonia? Or that his lesson was always before mine. That it took him an extra 10 minutes to pack up, as I was starting my lesson. I guess it was a well orchestrated situation.

If I had only known. If I had not been so shy. Oh and there was that one mariachi conference. Why was I so incredibly shy? He wanted to know so much. And there I was, listening to some lecture about mariachi musicianship onstage!

There was also that time. When the group went on that out of town gig. And I was running. It was in the beginning of February. I was in shorts and a tank top. I know. I'm crazy! But he talked about it for years after. And that night in rehearsal. When I was late. Because I lost track of time at the gym. I was in my sweats. And when I took off my jacket, I could hear him and his friend talking. I don't know what they said. But when I looked up, he was bright as can be. We didn't say much of anything that night.

Time past. He graduated and moved away. I got more involved in my new field. And our paths never crossed. Until today.

I went to eat breakfast with my parents. Just a quick thing. I had gotten up late. Hadn't really wanted to go. But went. My hair was it's usual crazy mess, when I leave it to dry naturally. Half curly, half frizzy, but still wet. I had minimal makeup on. And was lucky to have made it to breakfast. I noticed him out of the corner of my eye. Was it really him? Could it be?

I was done with my breakfast. Had talked to a cousin of mine that was there. And was waiting for my parents to finish up. We were getting ready to leave. But my dad decided to have another glass of water. And, here I was. Seeing this man, he is clearly a man now, walk out of this restaurant. The same restaurant that is less than 5 minutes from my parent's house. For a split second, I wanted to say something. Hi. How are you? Are you still playing? Etc...

But the words escaped me. My parents were sitting there talking about shopping at Costco. And he left. I had felt my heart rate increase. And now, what was I going to do? I sat there. I had just missed the opportunity. Is he living in my hometown now? I have no clue! Was he by himself? I don't know. I seen him walk out alone.

What a mess I am! Why didn't I say something? Then or now...

That folks, is a total screw up on my part. He is an amazing man. I would give anything to hear him play and sing again. My friends, they know that I have this little crush on him. a few years ago, they went looking for him. Good thing, they didn't find him. But they did call him a few times from my phone. I could have killed them! But maybe that's what you're supposed to do. Not be so scared, shy, or old fashioned.

Now all I can think about is that crazy, curly hair. Which he has grown out. Oh, amazing! And those silly shorts that he likes to wear. I swear, the only thing missing was the Gilligan's hat. I know I really missed an opportunity. I will never know if he actually had feelings for me. Or if 2 people that I trust and respect were just telling me that he did. But I would really like to run into him. Just once. Some place were we can sit and talk. Even if it's just for 5 minutes. ♥Besitos

No comments: